Friday, February 10, 2012

Independent Component 1

Literal:
a) I, Alicia Sepulveda, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
b) What I completed was a a week, starting and ending everyday during school hours, of being deaf. I also wrote a paper explaining what my week was like and what would need to be done to accommodate a deaf student at a hearing school.

Interpretive:
By doing this week of deafness I got to see first hand what it is like to be a deaf student. Doing this gave my insight that I would never get being a hearing person. Going through my life at school not being able to hear is the closest I will ever get to being completely deaf. By doing this I know and understand the deaf community more because I know and understand what exactly it is that they have to live with everyday. I did almost 24 hours of being deaf and I worked on a paper for over 6 hours. Those 23 hours and 47 minutes were observed by my teachers and by students all over iPoly. My paper I wrote for 4 hours and spent the rest of time I spent correcting and rewriting said paper. I took screen shots of my clock to show the time laps in when I was working.

Applied:
My essential question has to do with working with the deaf. By doing this independent component I was able to see what a deaf student would need and how I would need to prepare if this student where in an all hearing class. By analysing what I experienced and figuring out how it would have been better I saw what I would need to consider in assisting a heard impaired person. An example is I now know that I would have to find a way to allow my deaf student to see what other people where saying in the class. When I ask a question I need to have an effective way of getting what is said in an answer across to the deaf student. I learned that and much more about what I would need to do when working with a deaf student.

Evidence:
The screen caps of the time while I was working on my essay. They start at PM end at AM.

Link to my essay -----> One Deaf Week

Link to my Log -------> Independent Component Log

No comments:

Post a Comment